Welcome, Baby Olivia

We’re finally home! Today is our first full day back from the hospital and we brought with us a special little someone…

Olivia Anne Spenla was born on 1/9/11 at 6:59am, weighing in at 7.11 pounds and reaching just about 20.5 inches in length.

Birth story soon to come… but for now, here are a few of her first photos.

It’s been a blessing and a challenge being ‘disconnected’ from the world (internet, tv, media…) for the past few days at the birth center in our hospital. Our little family unit has loved the quiet attention we’ve been able to focus on little Liv – but we’ve been bursting at the seams to share more pictures and stories with family and friends.

This is my favorite Olivia pose:

There is nothing more surreal than watching a day old baby discover their hands, face and little bodies for the first time.

As with any grand entrance, Olivia has her own story of welcoming into the world (that sounds too sweet – it was much more of a jarring, what-the-heck-is-happening experience, I’m sure) but I’ll save that for tomorrow.

We went into her birth with one boy’s name and three options for a potential baby girl (aren’t names the most challenging?). She came out and she was Olivia from minute one. Anne is my and my mom’s middle name, I love that we’re passing on a family name as well as the special intercession of St. Anne.

She’s so darn teeny! But then again my body is saying – she was so darn big! (does that hit-by-a-train feeling go away any time soon?)

Thank you so much for your comments, thoughts and prayers! It’s been a crazy ride… but I suppose in many ways the adventure has just begun.

To be continued…

Comments

1. amanda says

wow… she’s beautiful!!! Congrats! I’m a Bradley instructor and was so excited to her your birth went (mostly) the way you planned!

2. says

CONGRATS!! I actually was wondering if you had your baby yet because I haven’t stopped by here in a few weeks!
    She is adorable! And you look great! Can’t wait to hear the story, it’s my favorite part. Of course the baby is a bonus too ;)

3. says

She is absolutely beautiful – what a delight to see her when I clicked through to your blog today.
    Congratulations to you, and all the best to you in your recovery, your sleep, and to her sleep as well!

4. says

Oh my goodness, that last picture is SO precious! Congratulations again! You look gorgeous and so happy in these pictures! I can’t wait to hear your story!

5. says

Many congratulations on such a beautiful little angel! I’ll admit, having a girl is TONS of fun. I agree on your favorite pose…Just absolutely precious!

6. says

Congrats! Your little Liv is beautiful! I had to do a double take when I saw the first picture. It looked SO similar to my Olivia on the day she was born. If I could attach a picture to the comments I would. The others look a bit more different, but that first one – wow. My Livie also shares my mom’s name and my middle name, Sha (pronounced Shay). Very cool! Love your blog and can’t wait to see more of your little lady along with your design projects.

7. Jennifer says

She is so beautiful! I guess I misunderstood though with another post, I thought she was supposed to be a he! :D
    Anyways, absolutely gorgeous! Her eyes are amazing!
    My #1 favorite picture is the 2nd one (B&W of you with your daughter)I really like the last picture too!
    I am glad you and the baby are healthy and well! Thank you for sharing

8. Courtney says

I couldn’t help but writing after this blog and congratulating you, your husband, and your precious little girl! I have never followed a blog on the internet or been so up to date, if you will with anything on the internet (not even my email!) until I discovered your site! I have found myself visiting it every day if not, numerous times of the day to look at your photos and DIY projects and everything! I’ve been impatiently waiting to find out if it was a girl or a boy and see photos! Olivia Anne is GORGEOUS and so healthy and happy looking :)) And you look great for just giving birth!!! Your work gives me such inspiration and I am SO happy I found your website, I love DIY projects/bargains…and oddly enough, I love baby stories :o)
    Enjoy this time because I am sure it is the happiest time of your life!!! Can’t wait to read more about her!
    God is good*

Courtney

9. says

She’s beautiful. I have one child, a daughter , who is in college now, but you are in for a wonderful and bumpy ride…enjoy every minute!!

10. Mary Flynn says

Mor! I adore her. I can’t wait to love her. I seriously got teary-eyed thinking of you and kevin and what an honor it is to be apart of your life and now little liv’s life! I am so looking forward to holding her and loving her!

11. says

Those photos are just too precious. The second has my heart welling up. It’s a beautiful representation of the intangible yet powerful connection between mom and baby. Here’s hoping you get some sleep! :)

12. says

GAH! She is an absolute DOLL. I want to give her a cuddle and eat her all up but *ahem* I’ll save that for you. CONGRATS. You certainly don’t look like you’ve been hit by a train.. hehe. Trust me, it’ll take a while but just take each day as it comes and do a little bit at a time. Looking forward to hearing the birth story. Welcome baby Olivia Anne! (that’s my middle name too but mine is spelt Ann.)
    xoxoxoxxo

13. marissa says

I don’t know you personally, but after seeing the beautiful pictures of your new little one, I can’t help but congratulate you! She’s perfectly adorable! Best wishes to your family!

14. says

She is adorable! Congratulations! (that hit-by-a-truck feeling does go away eventually, quickly followed by a what-in-the-heck-do-I-do-with-this-little-person? ha! Nah, it’s all good!)

15. says

Oh Morgan, she is GORGEOUS! Congratulations–there is NO better time in life.
    Enjoy your time with her, you’re going to love being a momma! PS-my Grey was the exact same measurements, so I know how you feel about….”She’s so big, but she’s so small!” LOL.

16. says

Oh my goodness, she is the sweetest little baby and I love her name, she does look like an Olivia! She is so alert too. Thanks for sharing her with us, she is gorgeous!! Try to get as much sleep as you can and you’ll be back to normal soon!
    xo

17. says

Dear Morgan and Family,
    What a sweet beautiful baby.
    So pleased all is well and you are home with
    Olivia doing fine. Enjoy each moment.
    Babies are such a blessing.
    Your photos are lovely.