Project Nursery is well underway – we have four weeks (if babe decides to come on his/her due date) to button up this space and I’m all too anxious to get it finished.
The gender-neutral color palette is tan, brown and red with splashes of aqua, yellow and other bright, cheery colors. We decided to work with darker furniture since we were planning on incorporating an already owned dresser (Craigslist find) and Expedit bookshelf (Ikea). Here’s a rough idea of what I envision:
1. We were gifted this very comfy Stork Glider and in order to save that nearly-white fabric (as well as add pattern to the space) I’m hoping to create slip covers in an aqua print. That way I can pull the covers off for a quick wash should spit up or other fun liquids find their way onto the cushions.
2. A fun, bright lamp like this one from Cape Cod Brass would be a great addition.
4. Back in May I made over an everyday Expedit bookshelf from Ikea by adding fabric to the backdrop, it has now found a new home in the nursery!
5. Vintage accessories in the form of rocking horses, wood blocks and prints are timeless and full of character – I’d love to weave them into this space.
6. With so many recalls and warnings out there we chose our crib through careful consideration and after much research. This Babyletto is a 3-in-1 (grows with baby), is environmentally sound (sustainably harvested wood) and passes all safety standards (non-toxic finish, lead & phthate safe, JPMA certified and tip proof) plus it’s extra wallet-friendly (considering all of it’s features)!
7. While most of the furniture has a contemporary/clean lines look, I’d like to add this Jenny Lind changing table to mix things up. Maybe with a coat of paint?
8. The biggest dilemma of designing this room? The rug, actually. I really struggled with what pattern of rug to shop for – with our new striped wall a striped rug felt a bit over the top, and without knowing baby’s sex, patterned rugs screamed too feminine or too masculine. When I found this burnt orange/red rug on eBay by Pottery Barn, I fell in love. It was a solid, bright pop of color made of soft wool that was comfy enough to crawl around on and sturdy enough to last years. Then I was outbid of my budgeting range (and the rug is discontinued by PB) so I’m back to square one. Do let me know if you see something similar! We might have to find a more neutral option soon…
9. Animal decals on the walls would really liven up the space, Inke from the Netherlands has the neatest selection of vintage wallpaper options but I think this would be a fun DIY project too! (Thanks to Kelsey, a reader who emailed with the source!)
10. I love the idea of fabric storage bins to organize toys, blankets and even laundry. These animal-themed bins by 3 Sprouts over at Layla Grayce are adorable! If I can find a neat way to build my own out of canvas bags I just might take this on as a DIY project too…
PS Don’t forget to enter the Tiny Prints (for adorable Holiday cards and other invites/announcements) giveaway! Ends tonight!
Tags: Brown, Decorating, DIY, Fabric, Nursery, Patterns & Color, Red, Tan
Posted in Home, Home Inspiration Board, Liv's Nursery, Renovating Adventures | 5 Comments »
We won’t be adding another full-size bedroom to our house any time soon. Well, we have an office/guest bedroom to create but it will likely be more office than bedroom so that doesn’t really count. BUT I was in the mood to experiment with some of my recent favorite finds, and if I could add a bedroom this one would be dreamy!
Caroline Bed – Urban Home $399, Recycled Metal Etch Shade – Urban Outfitters $49, Cowhide Rug – Urban Home $249, Savannah Dresser – JC Penny $469, Chenille Rug – Urban Outfitters $168, Trellis Wallpaper - Ballard Design $119, Elizabeth III Side Table - Ambiente, Beaded Flower Hook – Urban Outfitters $8, Pearl Trellis Fabric – Thibaut, Garden Envy Gardenia Fabric – Calico Corners, Chestnut Fabric – Thibaut
It’s a bit modern, a bit whimsical, and exactly what I’d try out if we lived in a little cottage or even a city loft. I love the idea of using peacock blues with yellows, golds and LOTS of naturals. The fabric bed is a personal favorite! Especially at that price (did you notice that crazy price?!).
Mixing country cottage chic (aka side table & dresser) with the clean, modern lines of the bed and pendant light softens the entire room. And to paint a few pieces of furniture a bright color like that yellow! Love that. The fabrics (in throw pillows for the bed, maybe?) bring in more playful patterns that pull together all of the room colors and compliments the trellis wallpaper (that would look great along just one wall). The other walls I’d leave white. Ahhh sweet dreaming.
Tags: Bedroom, Blue, By Color, Decorating, DIY, Fabric, Gold, Home, Patterns & Color, Yellow
Posted in Home, Home Inspiration Board | 7 Comments »