We finished up Liv’s costume just in time for her little school carnival last Friday. When she told me that she wanted to be a flower ballerina princess, I took the idea and ran with it before she could change her mind.
Eventually ‘flower princess’ became ‘flower pot’ (sorry, love) but because a pot is not so easy to wear around town, the ballerina alternative is an easy one :-).
She’s showing off her camera moves!
Liv and I made the entire costume together so that she felt as much love for all of the little details (which there really aren’t too many of) and might feel less inclined to change her mind (as preschoolers are ALL about doing). My goal was to stick with this sweet little flower costume through and through, despite the tempting Elsa’s and Tinkerbells that we might pass in the aisles of a store the day before Halloween.
The costume was so simple to put together and we relied on a lot of spray glue (this is one of my favorites! That stuff is strong) for the petals and leaves. For the handmade portion of this project, I needed about a yard of kelly green felt and a half of a yard of pink felt from the fabric store, as well as 4 packets of dark green embroidery thread for the leaf detail.
The leaves I measured to the size of Liv’s outstretched arms, the petals started off as cylinders (picture the below not folded) and then I used my spray adhesive to glue all but the bottom (which would receive a stringing of ribbon) together.
Can you tell I made the petals on the same day that I marbled the pumpkins?
We glued the two pieces of leaf felt (two for each arm for four sides total) except where the arm hole would be. Then Liv and I used the embroidery thread to sew/reinforce the edges of the leaves together. A slit was cut on the inside of each leaf to allow her hands to come through.
The headpiece is made up of petals threaded through with ribbon, the ribbon ultimately ties under her chin and is tucked back into one of the petals. Pins keep the flower in her hair but I’m glad she only has to wear it for short spurts of time :).
Oh man I love this girl, and how the costume turned out!!
I planned on making a similar version for Taylor but by using a sweatshirt (and the hoodie) as a base for my petals (inspired by this talented Etsy artist who is a friend of mine), but then found a sweet little bumble bee costume at a seconds shop and gave into e-a-s-y just a day ago. Poor second children.